The Sixth Wilbury

Monday, June 13, 2005

Makin' Friends Along the Way

Who knew that there were so many fabulous people in California? Well to add to the list of friends that Honey Asilomar and I made along the way, I'd like to introduce you to Mick, the Mechanic.

Because I tend to procrastinate and put off dealing with things until it becomes totally and completely necessary for me to do so, Mick was brought into our lives. As I was frantically calling auto shops the day before we are to make the treck back to Arizona I came upon an import car shop dealing specifically with cars from Europe. Lucky day... I drive a VW Jetta!! Even though I didn't have "the code" and was going completely off of information given to me by my mechanic in AZ, Mick came to the rescue. "Bring her in tomorrow at 9:30 in the morning," he suggests in a british accent, "and I'll have the part ordered and here from San Francisco. I'll pop it in and you can be on your way!" This was after we discovered that two of his friends were heading to Lake Havasu this weekend.

When we arrived in Salinas, Honey and I were shocked to find yet another cultural experience. I immediately began to refer to this place as "little Mexico." No offense, it just was. Mick suggested that we walk to the little cafe on the corner and get a "spot of tea," (he didn't really say that, but maybe he should have, being british and all...). As we walk down the street, tailed by three mexican men, we find a small mexican food restaurant that is open for breakfast. We go to the gas station instead. Honey picks up a Mint Frappichino and I grab a grape juice. We head back to the shop. By this time, Mick has pretty much fixed my car, and as an added bonus, fixed my windshield wiper... (it's a long story...!) I pay him $50, which he proceeds to put directly into his wallet, and we are on our way. Thanks Mick... we couldn't have made it without you!
(-:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home