The Sixth Wilbury

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Ripley's Believe It Or Not

So I saw another dog running down the side of the road today, but nearer to my house this time. I quickly pulled over to see if maybe this dog knew the dog from my previous encounter.
"Hey, hey!" I called. And, yes I did [whistle, whistle].
"What?! Can't you see that I'm going somewhere?"
"Yes, I did notice that you looked like you were on a mission, much like most lost dogs that I've seen wandering around..."
"Hold on a second, there, missy. If I was LOST and didn't know where I was going do you really think I would have just climbed through that barbed wire fence?"
I noticed that he had in fact just climbed through a barbed wire fence. "Well, I was just trying to do the right thing! I mean, the other day I saw this dog I thought was lost and I stopped and talked to him, and then I told my friends what happened and the couldn't believe that I didn't call someone to come get him so I wanted to see if I could, I don't know... redeem myself or something by helping you..." I was beginning to ramble so I stopped.
"Oh yeah!" He said, now turning towards me. "Ernie told me all about you, how you whistled at him and tried to get his people's number so they could pick him up. He said you were real nice..."
"You know each other?"
"Of course we do. We hang out almost every day."
"Oh." I was stunned. What an amazing coincidence!!
"Well, gotta go. The street lights are starting to come on, and you know how they like to have me home before it gets dark..."

The saga continues.
But then I think to myself,
WWLD??

2 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why, Sheryl of course!

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger greyguitar said...

now, now. there's no need to lie about finding another dog just for the sole purpose of trying to redeem yourself. face it, you left the last dog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home